Saturday, December 20, 2008

I made the police how up at the church building.

3 of the 4 missionaries are on either furlow or vacation.
Since the missionaries dont regularly go in on fridays it ws left up to moi to open the church building. Not a problem.
I was due to open the church any time before 9 am. So I woke up at 7 am got ready, hung out and was out the door by 809. I decided to take the bus, which takes 30 minuets. Today it happened to take 40. So I arrive to the church building unlock the door and the alarm starts to beep. Which is normal its just a sound to signal the motion detectors. Once the code is entered a single beep sounds to signify the alarm has been deactivated.
So i enter the code. Wait a moment and nothing........... I enter it again. Wait another moment and nothing.......I enter it one more time and again no beep and a few seconds later the THE LOUD ALARM GOES OFF!!!
I jump up and down as i beg BEG the alarm to stop sounding. PLEASE STOP! PLEASE STOP!! I beg and plead. Then i decided to change the last digit on the code and the alarm ceases to sound.
Then i realized i had been pressing in the ACTIVATION code instead of the DE-ACTIVATION code. The alarm stops and i look our the glass doors to see if police cars swarm the church. Nothing....I listen for the phone to ring as the security alarm people call. Nothing....
I breathe a sigh of relief and head back to the office. Not to long after that Mirta, the secretary, arrives. I told her what happened and we had a hardy little chuckle. Then all of a sudden a police officer walks in. Im stunded. As he removes his sunglasses he asks "Whos in charge here?" I say in the nicest softest voice I can and "I am :)" and he says "You??" I nod my head. He then asks "Are you the one who deactivated the alarm?" "Yes." "Cual es tu numero de cedula?" Whats your ID number? Since i dont have a "cedula." I proceed with giving him my passport number. "13...." and before i can get to the next set of numbers he exclaims "13!?!?!?" Cedula numbers start with only numbers 1-6. So when i said 13. He thought i was crazy or something. I then said "Soy Estado Unidense. Le puedo darle mi numero de pasaporte." I am from the United States and i can give you my passport number." So i give him all 9 numbers. "Como es tu nombre?" "Rocio Esquivel." He writes them down. So as hes waiting for the voice on the other side of the walk-e talk-e to respond he says "Americana. eh?" "Si. Estado Unidense" So about 5 more minuets pass and we both just kinda stand there. He let me know he was waiting for conformation. Then he says " ALRight! Thats it! Thank you and have yourself a good day." "Igualmente" I replied. He turned and walked out the glass doors.
I thought, he must have thought "What a strange occurance. A young girl in charge of a church building from the United States with a name like "Rocio Esquivel."
You dont see that everyday.

Awesome.

No comments: