Monday, July 14, 2008

The Bus El Collectivo El Camion

So this month Brittnea Dye, the single missionary, is on furlow. I have been living with her since the day I arrived. Since she has a car there has been very little need to take a bus.
But now that she is not currently here, I cant/wouldnt drive here, SO the bus (and sometimes the missionaries) are my modes of transportation. Bus fair is currently 2,300 Guaranies, which is about 60 cents. Taking taxis everywhere can burn a hole in your pocket SO I now take the bus to practically everywhere I need to go. Shannon and Alisha , 2 students from ACU, are currently living with my during their summer internship. It has been a HUGE blessing for me in how flexible they are. They do not mind at all taking the bus anywhere. So we have and here are a couple of comments/observations I want to share:
• Sometimes if the bus is extremely full people will grab on to the vertical handles on the bus at the back door and just hold on to the handles with their feet on the last step and just hang off the bus.
• You need to JUMP on and JUMP off because the busses never really come to a complete stop.
•You can pretty much flag down a bus from anywhere. Bus stops exist but hardly acknowledged.
•Because you can flag a bus anywhere, you can push a button or pull a string to let the conductor know you would like to get off and the conductor will just stop at its next available moment.

Today a group from Freed Hardeman University left for the states. They spend 6 weeks with us filling our lives with joy and teaching English. They will be sorely missed by all.

This week a group from Christopher Fry's supporting congregation arrives to spend a week here in Asuncion. Pray for their safe arrival and effectiveness as they minister.

I have been translating a lot lately.

No comments: